Friday, November 30, 2007

EUREKA!


I generally consider myself a hygienic person. Some consider me overly hygienic. That doesn't make sense to me. How can you be too clean? Anyway, while I have impeccable bathing habits, I have long had one weakness in this area: Flossing!

I hate flossing. Despite my loud mouth, I have a dilly of a time maneuvering around in there to get the floss where I need it. It is also one of those activities that doesn't seem like it will last. Mark my words: If we are still using floss to clean between our teeth in 20 years, we have failed to evolve as a species and are doomed to destruction. There must be a better way.

But since I am not the person to invent a better way, I have to do my best to follow the dentists orders. After years of trying, and failing, to simply force myself to floss, I have finally found a way to do it. My method: Consolidation!

About 3 months ago, I started brushing my teeth in the shower. I don't know why, I just did it. But I noticed something about a week ago: When I brush in the shower, I brush longer. This got me thinking. Could there be other positive externalities when I do things in the shower? So I put the package of floss next to the shower and started using it. And, although it is a it harder to do it without a mirror, it has been a week straight of consistent use.

Could consolidating other activities with showering be a way to do things I normally neglect? I just may be onto something. Now I just need to find a way to use the shower to conquer my terrible habit of skipping breakfast.

P.S. I'm back. In the coming days look for posts about Baja, fear, loathing, failure, intelligence (or lack thereof), and if you are lucky, a diatribe on my disdain for NASCAR.

No comments: