Saturday, May 19, 2007

Malcolm McDowell frightens me


Malcolm McDowell is undoubtedly a highly talented actor. He has worked with such acclaimed directors as Stanley Kubrick and Robert Altman. He currently appears in a show on the peacock network about people who possess special powers and do heroic things. The name of the show escapes me.

You'd think that seeing him in person would be an exciting, even pleasant experience. Surprisingly, it was rather disturbing. In August of 2002, I went with my father, my friend Brandt, and his father Jon to the Monterey car weekend. Friday was the Concorso Italiano in Carmel and we went to see more Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and de Tamasos than you can shake a sizable stick at. While walking along in the beautiful sunshine viewing a selection of Ferraris my friend Brandt elbowed me. "Do you know who that is? It's Malcolm McDowell!" He pointed to an elderly gentleman. It was indeed the actor. He was appearing in a revival of Fantasy Island so everyone knew who he was. He was sort of odd-looking. He had spiky white hair. His feet were shod in bright red Nikes. He wore shorts much shorter than any man over 60 has a right to wear.

My friend Brandt was much more impressed than I. (The next day we saw Phil Hill. Can you believe it? Phil Hill!) We moved on to view more fine automobiles. After a few minutes, I turned to my right and saw Malcolm McDowell again. Standing right next to me! This was a bit shocking but I quickly recovered and we continued. A few minutes later, it happened again. A few more minutes passed and he appeared next to us again! At this point I became concerned. Is he following us? What does he want? Why is he wearing those shorts? I don't believe in coincidences so I decided something must be done. We altered our route and lost him in a crowd. I cannot say what would have happened without this evasive action, but I prefer not to imagine the possibilities.

While most of us can say that we have stalked a celebrity, few can say that they were stalked by a celebrity. Fewer still can say it was Malcolm McDowell.

1 comment:

whit said...

My brother and I saw Catherine Zeta-Jones while we were in Italy. It was not as exciting as everyone thinks. We were with our school at a perfume shop, and all of our classmates got very excited to see her and Michael Douglas. My brother was flirting with the cashier, and Catherine kept getting in his way. How sad that we get so excited about people because they act, or sing songs.