Saturday, May 19, 2007

Why?!

Why did I decide to start a blog? Well, to be honest I have real work to do that is boring me to sobs and I cannot find any more distractions. I have been thinking about it for a long time because I spend way too much time just thinking. I carefully considered the probability that I would make a valuable contribution to society versus the probability that I would not just be wasting time and bandwidth but actually hastening the destruction of mankind. And ... I went ahead anyway.

What do I hope to get out of this new endeavor? Nothing. What do I hope you get out of this? Slightly more. How do I plan to achieve this goal? Well, in my daily life I seem to act natural and serious and people laugh hysterically. Case in point: I was teaching a Sunday School class last week and I made a comment about my long-deceased great, great, great grandfather leaving the old country. The whole room erupted in laughter. At first I thought everyone else had some sort of mental illness. I searched the DSM-IV-TR but could find no disorder whose only symptom is inappropriate laughter. While I haven't ruled out everyone else being crazy, I think it might be something about me. We shall see. If you know of any such malady, post a comment.

1 comment:

whit said...

I think it is you Dusty, that is crazy. Just kidding. But it does remind me, when I was in my MAT program, we were supposed to give the other members of our group compliments. One girl said that I had an off-beat sense of humor. Off-beat? Is that a compliment? To be off? Well, it depends on the day. When I look at most people around me, and realize that I am off compared to them, than yes, it is a compliment. I am not saying that you are off. Perhaps it is just everybody else. There had to be more than just you mentioning your predecessors death. It was either the way you said it, or what you tied it in to.